Originally Posted by txhunter58

Cut that in aprox. half (150-200 yards) and only shoot on broadside, behind the shoulder shots, and you will probably be OK.

I would use one only if there were NO other options and then be very selective on my shots.

Nah, I have a 243 that has now accounted for 9 elk--7 by me, and 2 more in the hands of youngsters. I would strongly recommend a premium bullet. I use 100gr Partitions.

Broadside shots out to 300 yds have all been pass-throughs, quartering away or towards me the bullets have stopped in the off shoulder.

15 years ago, I did watch a hunter shoot a bull 3 times with 100 gr Core-Lokts at about 40 yds. The little 4 point bull never moved until the third shot--then he took a step backwards and keeled over.

The 243 ain't a shoulder breaker, I wouldn't try a last ditch Texas Heart shot at a big bull going dead away, and I would be leery at taking a 400 yd shot. But all the 100 gr Partitions recovered look just like all the different caliber Partitions I've dug out of deer/elk/pronghorns/bears/sheep over the years.

My 11 year old is kind've smallish for his age, but when he goes elk hunting with Grampa next year, he'll be packing that 243.......he's the reason I originally bought the rifle in the first place...... grin

That rifle has good elk karma.

Now I'm gonna have to buy a 243 for my own or break out my "big" 270's........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.