We have a sizeable elk herd here on the ranch, and every few years we cull a few cows, to help manage the numbers,last year over a 6 month period I killed 21 cows with a .243, all but one were 1 shot kills one I shot twice because it didn't fall over fast enough, I bought my first .243 in 1962, at the hardware store on east main st. in Vernal, Utah , haven't been with out one since.

I killed my first elk in 1950 with my grandfathers 30-30, scrub bull but I was proud as hell of it as I crawled about 1/4 of a mile on my knees to get close enough to shoot him. over the years I since 1950 I don't know how many elk I have killed and scene killed but it's more than a few. with almost every caliber and bullet mentioned in this thread, no caliber or bullet will make up for a lousy shot, I have used .243. other than tearing up a bunch of meat there hasn't been much difference, with today's modern bullets and fast twist barrels it's amazing to me what a Good 105 gr. bullet will do out of a .243 A.I. when it comes to internal damage and penetration.

That said, there's no reason to use a light caliber rifle if you have and can use a rifle with more poop and bullet weight, what ever you shoot well should work., put a good bullet in the plumbing, and you should have good results. it might suprise some of you to know elk aren't bullet proof. Rio7