What are the indispensable attributes of the perfect big game hunting rifle?

We all have our favorite rifles and cartridges but this is not a manufacturer/model or cartridge-specific question. Nor is it a question about the scope, if any. I expect the cartridge and scope of choice would depend largely on the variety of game hunted - but that's OK because this is not a "one rifle" question either. The question is more about the attributes you would like ALL of your big game rifles to share.

While I haven't given the question a lot of thought, I do see my more recent purchases leaning the same direction and there are specific attributes I value more than others.

Here is a quick list - in no particular order - of some of my preferences:

1. Accurate - MOA or better, preferably much better.
2. Great trigger - smooth and around 3-1/2 lbs pull.
3. Iron sights - peep or ghost ring preferred, scope optional.
4. Synthetic stock.
5. Rust resistant metal - I like stainless a lot, but any good rust preventing coating would do.
6. Bolt-locking safety.
7. Mauser-type extractor.
8. Controlled feed.
9. Relatively light weight.
10. Relatively low recoil.
11. Good balance and fit.
12. 22" barrel or shorter.
13. Studs for locking/quick-release sling swivels.
14. Slim stock.
15. Under $1,000 - preferably much under.

Given more time I could probably come up with a few others. But I don't have the time - the grand-kids are going to spend the day with my wife and I while the parents go to the Broncos game. Priorities. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.