Originally Posted by viking
Ruger GSR.

I have one of those in the safe, .308 Win, 16.1" barrel. Blued, not stainless, so, while not quite perfect, it is pretty close. Whether an 18" barrel would get it a smidge closer is debatable.

I swapped the heavy laminate stock it came in for the Ruger synthetic and it comes in at 6.25 pounds according to Ruger. Also bought two synthetic mags, 3- and 5-round to replace the 10-round factory mag. Have only used the 3-round since and it should reduce the weight even further. After some polishing the trigger is very good. I also swapped the factory flash hider for a brake. My hunting buddy, who has problems with recoil due to diabetes-induced shoulder issues, said "It has no recoil!" Not quite true, but less than my Marlin .30-30.

All the GSR needs is a good fixed-power in the rings. I bought a heavy variable LER scope for cartridge development and test, but it isn't something I would want to carry all day.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.