These three come pretty close to my 'perfect' rifle.
[Linked Image]

The .338 is perhaps the least 'perfect' as it was a custom build that cost over double what either of the others cost. The .300WM in the center was $375 on closeout at Sportsman's in 2004. The .30-06 was $480 used in 2010. The .338 or .300 both get points deducted for not having quick detach slings. If the .30-06 sported a fixed 4x or 3-9x instead of the 4.5-14x it would be very, very close to perfect.

Here is another that I think is very close to 'perfect'. This one is a .280 Rem but the cartridge isn't important. You can still pick one of these up in a variety of chamberings (and in blue rather than stainless) for $449-$499 from cdnnsports.com.
[Linked Image]

This ,308 Win Ruger GSR is pretty close to perfect too, and is the only one with sights I can easily use at 200 yards. Using a heavy-as-a-big-rock UTG scope it does very well against clay pigeons at 300 yards.
[Linked Image]

None of the above are going to win any beauty contests and the .308 Scout probably won't go hunting until I find a suitable, lightweight LER scope for it. The others are increasingly my choice for taking to the field. This year it was the .338WM and .300WM for elk, because I thought I would be shooting as backup, but if by myself the .30-06 or .280 Rem would have been my choice. My walnut-stocked rifles seem to stay at home more and more often.

FWIW, here is the .308 Scout with the UTG scope and UTG rings. While the scope works well at the range - and would be OK for hunting from a blind - it really is heavy-as-a-big-rock. Lighter QD rings and scope are high on my to-get list.
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.