Originally Posted by GuyM
What's worked out as pretty much perfect for me is a 30-06 Rem 700 CDL, 24" barrel, no sights. Has an old 2-7x Redfield on it, though I actually prefer a fixed 6x Leupold.

Last fall, and then this past spring, that rifle gave me: elk, mule deer, pronghorn, black bear, wolf and grizzly.

Carried it a lot. Hunted hard. Didn't worry about the conditions. Like my other 700's have for 40+ years, it worked just fine. Very accurate and easy to carry. Reliable as all get out. I think that I should have used tougher scope mounts/rings, but I dropped it on a rock last year while hunting. Hit the rear scope ring. Zero didn't shift at all. Maybe these mounts are tough enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got a near-twin to it, in 25-06 with a 6x Leupold that has been my favorite mule deer rifle for the past 12 years or so. It too is completely reliable, easy to carry, and very accurate from field positions.

Regards, Guy

I love the older CDLs. Before they turned the stocks into a 2x4. Built my 280AI on one. I'm on a constant vigil for one in pristine condition in 270. Just because. I do like em.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."