Originally Posted by bigwhoop
But as some have already said, water ususally is considered taboo as it can introduce bateria. We've cooled game in the field in creeks, but with the meat in plastic sacks to prevent contamination.

I would share your concern about creek water unless I was in the wilds of Alaska or Canada. Plus in my situation, the water does not get cold enough to help much during hunting season, if ever. I think perhaps that is why the whole thing with hunters believing that any kind of water grows bacteria came about.

Bacteria needs temps above 40 degrees to get rolling. The temp in an ice filled cooler is going to be somewhere pretty close to or just north of 32 degrees. Even the melt water is going to be too cold for bacteria. Also consider that the ice most everyone uses is going to be made from potable drinking water, some of it might have a touch of chlorine in it if it comes from city water that is not filtered.

I guess the point is that there is no way that you are going to have a problem with meat spoilage using this method unless you forget to replenish the ice, let it all melt, and leave the meat in warm water after the cooler heats up.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn