Originally Posted by 175rltw
It is easy to stay at or a little under 7lbs scoped with a model 7 or shortaction700. 20” number 2 barrel and a McMillan edge or a bansner/ high tech specialties stock get you there. I don’t spend on getting flutes or skeltonizing- I do add a mini m4 style extractor, and a larger bolt knob. Basically you can get to under 7lbs scoped in those platforms without having to nitpick about using the lightest components, and instead focus on practicality, function, and (within reason for a light / mountain rifle) ergonomics. The 20” number 2 feels good with an ultralight stock nice bit of weight out front. - Feels all screwed up in a heavy laminate stock though like you’re trigger hand is doing the heavy liftin and squeezing the trigger and your other hand is trying to keep the barrel from floating away. Anyway it’s easy to build an easy to shoot Ergonomically effective sub 7lb scoped rifle that will hold .5moa. All my light rifles have tubbs speedlock or gretan fireingpin/spring assemblies for faster locktime. Some guys say it only shows up at the bench. In my experience with proper discipline and form- it only shows up in the field. I can shoot tiny groups off a rest with slow freaking rifle- but with my heart and lungs going hard adrenaline flooding my veins and hands shaking- when my pulse is pounding in my temples and fingertip is when the locktime really makes a difference.

You can absolutely save money on a tikka or whatever if you like, but if you want a rifle that is a purpose driven build utilizing components and a decision making process that is based on performance rather than cost effectiveness, and is tailored to your body, and what your experience has dictated is important- then maybe don’t go for the tikka. I don’t know

Reread your original post- and your goal of 7.5lbs with a robust scope is reasonable in a long action. And even at that- just because a cartridge OAL length might call for a Long action it’s powder column might not need a long tube for efficient/consistent burn. I don’t know if the range at which you hit 1350fps with an individual rifle would be very dramatically effected by going from 24” to 20”. Your dope would change plenty but your max effective range as defined by supersonic velocity with a High BC bullet you might lose what 10 yards?

Thank you for that well thought response. You have given me much food for thought.