Let me offer another direction to go. I built 2 customs on Kimber actions. The first one was to be a lightweight rifle to carry up and down the mountains where I live in pursuit of Coyotes. The very cheapest way for me to go was to buy a new Kimber Montana utilizing the action, trigger, and stock. Then I had the action squared, lugs lapped, a new Lilja barrel installed matching Kimbers contour and I rebedded it. 6lbs. 4oz. ready to hunt. Brand new rifle $1000, barrel plus machining and installing $750.
A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a custom Deer rifle. Located a used 2 position safety Kimber Classic. Had all the same machine work and installation of barrel done. And again, a Lilja in a Kimber contour. This time I built the walnut stock for it from a blank of English Walnut. This one was a bit more because of the stock. 6lbs. 13oz. ready to hunt. As for accuracy at 100yds with these 2 light weights.....................

The first build was a 17 Rem.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The second build was a 243
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I find these to be easy to shoot from a bench and more accurate than I can shoot nowdays.

Last edited by K22; 12/01/17.