kandpand,

While fixed-power scopes aren't as common as they used to be, some are still being made--and I suspect more will show up in the future, not so much because of ruggedness but because more hunters are becoming aware of the advantages of a constant reticle size, especially with multi-point reticles.

It's too bad Burris doesn't offer their 6x40 anymore. It had click adjustments that were certainly consistent enough for a set-and-forget scope. However, the Burris 3-9x Fullfield II has equally good click adjustments, and is a great all-around set-and-forget scope, in my experience very reliable and tough.

Two fixed-power scopes that work pretty well are the 4x38 and 6x38 Weaver K's. Some people don't like the relatively short tube and eye relief of slightly over 3 inches in the 6x, because the combination can make the scope difficult to mount on some rifles. However, a rail-type base allows more mounting options, and I haven't found as much difficulty in mounting the 6x38 on long-action rifles as some other people have. (In my experience it works fine on short actions.)

The 4x38 has almost 3-1/2" of eye relief, so is more flexible in mounting. The only reticle available in both scopes is Weaver's version of a Duplex--a trademarked Leupold name--the Dual-X. Right now I have four of 'em, three 6x38's and one 4x38, and the adjustments are pretty good in all four. Dunno how much recoil they can take on a consistent basis, but they've worked fine on my rifles up to .30-06.

Another fixed-power option is the 6x42 SWFA, though it isn't available with a plex-type reticle. It's considerably bigger and heavier than the Weavers and is designed as a dialing scope, but doesn't cost much more than the Weavers. However, the adjustments are dead-nuts, it holds zero, eye relief is 3-1/2", and the long tube makes mounting easy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck