John;

I've got a few questions.

The first is regarding adjustments and the amount / direction of backlash in the turret threads. Its commonly believed that adjustments up and right are less positive than down or left because the erector tube is relying on the springs to push it along with the adjustment. For some it borders on religion that you should go past the desired elevation point or right adjustment and back down to take the slack out of the system and let the threads do the job that they don't trust the spring to do. Whether it works, or whether we owe our scopes any favors is another thing. At first glance that does seem to make a certain amount of sense; until I realized that adjusting the elevation up is in fact moving the crosshairs down. Since that's the case relative to our eyes, isn't adjusting for more elevation actually compressing the springs and doing a back and forth herky-jerky at the end the exact opposite of what they should be doing? It has occurred to me that the term erector assembly does hint that adjusting up is in fact dragging an upside down image up but then my head starts hurting. I guess this is my long way of asking if dialing elevation up is really compressing the springs instead of loosening them? I may take that information and use it to start a new religion.

The next is concerning European scopes with backwards adjustments. Are the turrets set up with a backwards thread or is the erector tube being moved at the opposite end? It may not make any difference, but at least I'd know whether to call them left-hand thread scopes or backward tube scopes when I'm bad-mouthing them for having backwards knobs.

The last is rather general. I know that at least some cheap scopes have their erector assembly mounted in a rubber tube. How prevalent is that design?

I can't be the only one who wonders this stuff. wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.