Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Jim, dig around and find a Rem 513S.

That's one model I've been particularly looking for but good ones are really in demand

I've watched this one start at a penny, 20 bids later it's up to $392 with 2 days 20 hours left to go. Not saying it will but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it fetch over $500. A couple of other 513S models have starting bids around or above $500.

[Linked Image]

Most 511's are still in the mid-200 dollar range, such as the one I asked about in a post in the Gunwriter's forum. There are still plenty of .22 rifles from the 40's and 50's around but a lot are getting pretty worn. Excellent .22 bolt rifles used to be found everywhere and most manufacturers offered a couple of different levels including full blown target rifles. Now with changing demographics there just isn't the demand any more so you either get really expensive ones like an Anschutz or the bottom tier ones. CZ is about the only maker still offering a somewhat quality .22 for a mid-tier price. Not knocking the Savages, Marlins and the RAR rimfire but they just don't compare to those old walnut and steel rifles. Even my 581 from the 1980's, while an accurate rifle, was a step down from its ancestors.

Before dinner today I looked at a CZ 455 Training rifle and an Ultra Lux. Even with the birch stocks those are nice rifles and each had a very light trigger pull. A touch of creep in the Ultra but nothing a light stoning wouldn't fix. That Ultra with the 28" barrel is kind of neat if ungainly looking, it's like hefting a .410 goose gun. wink

I have a beautiful LH Kimber of OR Model 82 and it is a superb .22 rifle, extremely light trigger and an absolute one raggedy hole shooter - over the last 27 years I've used it to win several .22 silhouette matches at 100 and 200 yards. If'n I was feeling really blasphemous it would make sense to put a front sight on it and find a peep sight to fit but I just can't bring myself to change it out from factory form.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!