Thanks for all the replies. I have a nice late 40's vintage Marlin 39 with a Lyman peep and at 40" and change OAL it is about minimum for me to shoot well. A Ruger 10/22 Sporter with the 22" barrel is the same length and also lets me shoot well but has a comb more suited for scopes . Had a LH 581 back in the 80's and it was a nice accurate rifle but I know what you mean about the triggers. The CZ training rifles certainly have the barrel length but I'm not sure if that rear sight would pose a problem, and I'd still have to buy a peep sight to fit it.

Guess nostalgia also plays a part here and what's really drawing me are the nice rifles I missed out on growing up. All steel and walnut, you could get a lot of rifle for the money with those.

I'd been looking hard at some Remington 513T or 511P models but almost by accident found a listing for a Winchester 69A in very good shape with a Lyman peep with target knobs and a globe front sight. It's a good bit more than $350 but still less than a new CZ, and that vintage Lyman sight by itself is probably worth $100 or more. I have checked more listings for other 69A models and the $300-350 range mentioned would get a very decent one. Actually that price range would get any of a number of very good Remington 51x models or the Winchesters, many with either a basic set and forget peep sight or regular open sights but that nice Lyman sight is a real draw. And after all, it's only money. Plus the one I like is grooved for tip-off mounts so I could put a scope on temporarily to really draw out the accuracy and see what ammo it liked most.

Oh well, half the fun is looking. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!