After reading all the responses, I would say the author accomplished what he sat out to do. It seems to me at times that he is somewhat lamenting the fact that he doesn't feel the same way most people do about the 270. Heck, I have read enough threads on here in the last year to know that most of us feel the same way about at least 1 cartridge. And, I get it, I don't want to hunt what everyone else does. It's the reason I bought my 1st M77 in a 25/06 in the late 70's. No one I knew had a Ruger 77 in my neck of the woods and no one had a 25/06. I remember a guy telling me several years later that he saw my rifle at the hardware store which had ordered it for me before I got up there to pick it up. He told me he had been wanting one and that was the 1st one he had ever seen. For a number of years around here, I knew of very few folks who shot anything other than a 30/06, 270, 308, or a 243...except we hunted with 1 guy who hunted a 224 Weatherby Magnum. No way I could compete with him for hunting a cartridge no one else had.

I have killed a number of deer with a 270 and have a couple of them still here at the house. But my favorite little gun shop that my friend owns had a run on people trading in 270's this past Summer. At one time, the 270 made up between 1/4 and 1/3 of his used rifles. The rest of them ran the gamut from a semi-custom 222 to a couple of larger magnums. I wondered why so many people were trading them in. Maybe it became too routine to see animals die when shooting them. The pawn shop close to me which has a much larger inventory of rifles had about as many of the 270 Win as they did other popular chamberings.