If a fella is honest and cursed with a curious mind, has an interest in "old" cartridges, seeks out rifles chambered in "old" cartridges, works up loads for them and takes lots of medium game with them and that curiosity evolves into finding rifles in "old, oddball" cartridges and does the same with them it becomes exceedingly evident that the old 8 X 57 with its original .318 bore can be just as accurate and kills just as good as the newest, latest, greatest cartridge put on the market. So do a thousand other cartridges. Hairs can be split over differences in trajectory, bullets can and do make a difference though I've not seen anything kill one bit better than a good cast bullet when put in the right place on medium game, sectional density can be argued/discussed. One experience can jaundice a hunter, one experience can gleefully convince another hunter and unfortunately both become rote....and neither is 100% correct. I'd be just as fat, dumb and happy in the deer woods with my wife's 243 as I would with my 9 X 71 Peterlongo, my 40-70 or 45-90 Sharps or my 270 or my old 9.3 X 57 Husky or any of a couple dozen other cartridges I own. Not a doubt in my mind all will cleanly kill a whitetail.

Most popular, commercially successful bolt rifle cartridges are based on basically two early cartridge cases. They are the 8 X 57 and the 375 H&H. Respectively a German and a British cartridge. Before anyone includes the 30-06 bear in mind it is a lengthened, necked down 8 X 57. Ain't nuthin' new there. Certainly there is many cartridges based on other cases or a proprietary design but compare their popular success to any based on the aforementioned cartridge cases and it has to be miniscule.

To reiterate my first post in this thread of now 4 pages, the article was "fodder for those who know not and know not that they know not".

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing