Originally Posted by Jonnymac
Since purchasing that 7mm I've accumulated more rifles than I'd like to admit, but none in .270. I don't hate it but I've always wanted something else more. ...

That sums up my experience as well. Started with a 7mm RM in '82 and for 20 years it was my only Colorado-legal big game rifle. It has killed more big game than all my other rifles combined.

As I started adding to my collection in '02, it was with Marlin levers. Since then I've added Colorado-legal bolts in .243 Win to .338 WM. Somehow a .270 has just never quite made the cut. The closest I've gotten was a $15 disagreement on price for a Ruger stainless/skeleton MKII at a local gun show. Went back first thing the next morning, determined to buy it, but was 10 minutes too late - someone else was filling out the paperwork on it. (dammit!)

Thought about one a couple years ago when cdnnsports had the Rugers for $499. Got a .280 instead because I already had a pile of .284 bullets. Thought my girls might use the .280 but one sticks to my .257 Roberts, another got her own (lefty) .308 Win and the other doesn't hunt.

While I've long thought a .270 Win was as good as it gets for deer, it is now doubtful I'll ever get one - unless I run into a deal I just can't refuse.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.