Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I was reading the book "Letters From Elmer Keith" the other day and EK was, as usual, totally negative toward the 270 as a cartridge for shooting elk. I was amazed by the rude language that he used when writing about JOC and other writers whose views were in conflict with his views.

I ended up with Major Charles Askins Sr's personal Superposed, did a good bit of research on the Askins and, of course, JOC and EK were players in that saga. It seems that the Major helped get EK started as a gun writer, they were close, lifelong friends.

Col. Askins, the Major's devoted son, hated JOC. The Major was one of the preeminant gun writers, reportedly the highest paid of that era. As he aged, he started showing signs of dementia, actually died in the Waco VA, which I found out is a psych type facility consistent with treating dementia patients.

It is rumored that the Col helped his Dad with some of his later articles and work. It's also rumored that JOC found out, blew the whistle, ended up with the Major's job. The Col, not the forgiving type to begin with, never forgave JOC. There was ongoing bad blood for his remaining years.

If the Askins, especially the Col, hated JOC, EK as a close Askins ally would tend to have taken their side. Plus, EK didn't like "pest guns" for BG. I think the development of modern bullets nullify a lot of EK's observations and conclusions.

Although their ages weren't that different, EK and JOC seemed to be from different eras, JOC moving into the modern firearm era, EK sticking with the old ways, with what had worked for him. I guess in a way, both were right.

Interesting stuff, a collection of fact and rumor left for us to sort out.

DF

JOC was an educated man, earning both bachelors and masters degrees before WW2, when very few people had the opportunity to earn either degree or any degree at all.

EK was much the opposite and if you read between the lines, he seems jealous of JOC's opportunities and success. In any case, there seemed to be a lot of petty BS. That said, the book that I was reading is a compilation of private letters written by EK and it is probable that when he wrote them, he never expected or intended for them to be published and made public.