Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 5sdad

According to Hell, I Was There (and you weren't smile ) the back row is Bill Edwards, John Amber, Pete Kuhloff, Warren Page, Jack O'Connor, and Elmer Keith. The front row is Ray Ovington, Larry Kohler, Tom Siatos, Pete Brown, and Jack Seville. I am not familiar with all of them, and would appreciate if someone could provide their backgrounds.

Very Interesting ! I have the book but don't remember that. Several of those I am not familiar with either.
Thanks for posting that.

Jerry

Ray Ovington wrote one of the great fly fishing for trout books, "Tactics On Trout".

Larry Koller wrote one of the great whitetail deer hunting books, "Shots At Whitetails".

I don't know what Bill Edwards or Jack Seville were known for.

You beat me to Larry Kohler and "Shots At Whitetails", one of the best books on deer hunting I've ever read.

Growing up and reading the "big 3" hunting and fishing magazines.......Warren Page was the gun guru at Field and Stream, Pete Brown at Sports Afield, and of course Jack O'Connor for Outdoor Life. Being a JOC fan, and because my father took Outdoor Life, I didn't read other two magazines all that much. I do know that Page championed the 243 Winchester quite a bit.

I think that the time period following WW2, and lasting maybe until the 1970's, was what I would call the Golden Era of hunting and fishing, and the magazines. It didn't cost a lot to go on a hunting trip, and it was easy to get permission. That's not the case anymore with hunting leases, and the way it's changed things.

I'm sort of a double fan of Larry Koller, for his writing and for the fact that he was the most well known proponent of the Savage Model 1920. About 30 years ago I stumbled across a Model 1920 that Larry was reported to have owned and was later able to confirm that bit of history from his son, Paul. Paul and his wife, Karen, lived in Bozeman, MT, and operated Missoulian Angler at that time. Paul and Karen were as nice a couple as your could ever meet. Funny thing is that despite living in Montana for over 20 years, she never lost her NYC/northern New Jersey accent.

Didn't Larry Koller do most of his deer shooting with the 250/3000??