You got one of the best 30/30 models made in my opinion, and I have 3 guns in that caliber (Marlin, Winchester, and Savage). While your model may be worth a bit more on the market, to me, it has no value unless you shoot it. Have you tried cast bullets in the rifle, or is it what you have read? I've used cast bullets in several "Microgroove" BBLs over the years and have found several loads that work well (part of the secret is to cast .002 or .003 over .308 and drive them fast as the cast lead mixture will allow!). Many Marlin 444 user's prefer the Microgroove barrel for cast loads over "Ballard" rifling. As far as the safety issue, the possibility of an accidental firing while unloading can happen unloading a "bolt gun" without a "hinge plate" and a safety that only locks the bolt when employed. While opinions do vary on "additional" safeties to preclude "unsafe" firing mechanisms, there is usually no disagreement on where the muzzle should be pointed while doing this operation! I find most of the extra safety devices on a lever to change the smooth operation of the action and trigger, but I grew up without all the "warnings" and safe guard appendages now accompanying most equipment these days (not that there is anything wrong with that!). If you are concerned that you may mess up the value of your Marlin but like the gun, save the money you would spend on another 30/30, shoot it for a few years, then pay a gunsmith to restore it to like new "original" condition if you want to make it a "Safe Queen", sell it, or give it to one of your kids! My .02. Best regards!