A couple of years ago, I bought a 1960 vintage 336SC .30/30. It's in no way perfect, it's got freckling over some parts, and the bluing is a bit thin on the receiver. I bought it to use, though, and never looked back. It's killed deer, and will continue to kill deer. It doesn't have to be perfect to do so, and I recognized that and bought it happily.

Rifles are made for using, if they get a few "character marks", so be it. I don't abuse them, but the companies built them to use, so don't be scared of using them, either.

Horror of horrors, I even drilled a hole in the buttstock and installed a swivel stud (not in the bullseye, of course) and clamped a swivel base on the 2/3 magazine. It had never had a scope on it, either, but I removed the plug screws and put on a scope, too.

Point being, don't be scared to use your Marlin. They've made millions of them, they are in no way rare or endangered species. Use them, that's why Marlin made them. Don't abuse it, but don't cry if you mar it while making a memory, either. The memories you make will be more important.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.