Originally Posted by Bbear
Started my hunting 'career' with a borrowed 30 carbine. The next year it was a borrowed .222. My third year was a Savage 99 243, followed by a Mohawk 600 in 243. It wasn't until I was about 13 that I started hunting with a 25-06. My first two elk were taken with the 25-06.
Fast forward a number of years and my Model 600 and Model 99 were both using 100 gr sp and dropping deer quite regularly. As was my 25-06.
Dad asked me one time if I'd ever counted up the number deer I'd taken by the time I was 18. I did some math and came up with just over 100, give or take. By the time I was out of college, I'd added more to the list.
In my 40's, I went back and started playing with the 243's again. Worked up a nice load with 95 gr BTs for my 'grandson' to shoot when he got old enough. The lever gun I should start playing with again and see about bringing it out of the back of the safe. Trouble is, I have a nice Weatherby 243 that shoots little bug-holes. Even took it out to 800 yards a couple of times just for grins.
I still like the 243 AND the 25-06 AND my 6.5x55 Swede AND my 264 WM and several others.
Biggest problem I have now when I pack to go hunting for whitetails is, which one's will I bring? Usually it's one of the 6.5's and a 243 or one of the 25-06's and a 243.

over 100 deer by age 18? I'm curious how you could manage the logistics of that. If true, that is a lot of deer for a teen to handle

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.