I am invited to hunt in Colorado this year during black powder season. As I understand it, I cannot use optical sights or sabot bullets - lead only. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have three black powder guns - a 50 caliber T/C Renegade, a 50 caliber Knight Vision inline with scope, and a 54 caliber kit gun given to me. I figure on taking the T/C. Since the trigger is horrible, I have ordered a double set trigger for it, as well as some T/C lead bullets.

The Knight has no iron sights, so if I wanted to take it I would have to buy them. I have only shot it with Triple Seven pellets and sabots, never with Maxi balls or other similar projectiles. T/C does not recommend using Triple Seven or Blackhorn 209 in the Renegade, probably because they is harder to ignite than black powder or Pyrodex.

I don't like the 54 caliber as it has a nasty curved metal butt plate which looks like it will hurt me when I fire it. I'm on blood thinners, so that's not good.

My questions:

What loads do you recommend for the Renegade - bullets and powder? What are the regulations for black powder other than what I mentioned?

Thanks for any help.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter