Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
... I bought some Power Belts yesterday at a store in NY State, the closest one that sells ammo, and i have some T/C lead bullets on order.

I hunted with a renegade flintlock for 24 years and my wife hunted for a few years with one. I shot maxi-balls, buffalo bullets, and a couple similar types that I don't remember the name. I think they ranged from about 345-385 grains, they all shot excellent. Made a number of kills from 100-125 yds. They had tremendous penetration but no expansion. The renegade with it's short barrel doesn't get a lot of velocity so with heavy solid bullets it doesn't expand. I only recovered one of the heavy bullets and that was on a frontal lengthwise shot. Entered base of neck, travelled across to ribs missing the 1st two but taking a big gap out of every one after that stopping in the front of the rear leg, of course dropped on the spot. That is the one in the pic below with me in the red suit. All the broadside shots had the deer running fair distances with a LOT of blood but basically 50 in and 50 out without a lot of tissue damage. I wanted something with a little more shock. Not sure but around 1990, whenever powerbelts came out, I tried the powerbelt 245HP. Shot very accurate and left a big hole in the deer, not a lot different from a centerfire. Also used the 245AT and 295AT. Both good accuracy and killed well but not as a dramatic of a hole as the 245HP. I would look at the 295 and today I would definitely try the aerolites. Just as a point of reference, I was getting 1475fps with the 295AT and 100gr FF.

Attached Images
jpg_00004594.jpg (77.96 KB, 22 downloads)
piebald 2.jpg (79.13 KB, 22 downloads)

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization