I will not debate with you the merit of your non-sequitur (a statement (such as a response) that does not follow logically from or is not clearly related to anything previously said) remark. However, I do take exception to your statement "You don't need a larger meplat to get a large wound channel". You would also have to include me in the "Some would say they expand too much" camp. I like 2 holes in stuff I shoot because I probably don't shoot as well you and 2 holes give me a better blood trail. Because you "...have a collection of them, collected mostly from underneath the off-side hide" , I would say all things are not equal and you are sacrificing expansion (which I agree you do not need with a 50 caliber projectile) for penetration.
At the speeds we are slinging heavy large caliber bullets accelerated by black powder or substitute (300 grain THOR @ 1630 fps), my contention is that our muzzleloaders perform similarly to large caliber revolvers loaded with smokeless powder. J. Marshall Stanton on page 71 of "Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide" discusses meplat diameter:
"Along those same lines, one can make a .41 magnum, with WFN bullets duplicate the same wounding capacity of a .44 LMN or LCM bullet when striking velocities are the same. Just look at the meplat diameters and compare them. If the meplat diameter is the same, the bullet diameters is the same, bullet weights similar and striking velocities are the same, terminal performance will be the same! It doesn't matter whether the cartridge says .41 Remington Magnum, 44 Remigton Magnum or .45 colt! The terminal results will be nearly identical.
The major difference in the heavier calibers is the superiority in sectional density of the bullet, and their ability to carry that wound channel deeper. But, on a deer there is only so much penetration that can take place, so often times the lighter calibers with proper bullets will do the same job as their heavier recoiling litter mates, After all dead is dead!
The argument changes color though when elk, moose, and bears enter the equation. Opt for penetration AND wound channel, and be prepared for a shot from any angle!"
Veral Smith on page 102 of "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" comes to a similar conclusion.
On another subject, did you ever find your article on why scopes should not be on muzzleloaders for hunting season?