Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by curdog4570
It really is that simple and a clear reading of Scripture will bear that out.

You're right, it's that simple, but when people read the Scripture is when the "catch" begins. That "catch" is the way that we interpret those words. I think most get it right, and understand it clearly, but others do not, and think their view is right, and everyone else's is wrong.

Just look at the way the Bible is interpreted, with people handling snakes, drinking poison, and such, all because it's mentioned. I'm no expert, and don't claim to be one, but the fact is that perhaps no book ever written can be as confusing as the Bible is to some, yet as clear as it is to others. It may all depend on just what one is looking for.

How does one interpret 1 Thessalonians 2:14-15 in any other way than according to what it appears clearly to say? Seems like it would require a great deal of mental gymnastics to do so.

Paul appears clearly not to be referring, when he says "the Jews," to those (like himself) of Jewish ancestry who've embraced faith in Christ.

A plain reading of the letter indicates that the Thessalonians were being persecuted by “ their countrymen” who were Pagan, not Jews. Paul is pointing out that HIS countrymen, who WERE Jews, opposed him in the same way......... by holding on to their old teachings.

By mentioning, as did Jesus Himself, how they had killed God’s Prophets, he appears to be condemning the Temple Jews. His most urgent warnings are reserved for the false teachers yet to come, not the Jews who rejected him.

Personally, I find Paul’s constant bragging on himself to be such a turnoff that I don’t give much credibility to his Theology, and I sure as hell ain’t gonna use his words as justification for HATE.

My distaste for most all things Jewish is rooted in the defining characteristics of their Ethnicity, not for anything some of them did over two thousand years ago.

It takes a twisted mind to use the death of Billy Graham to push a hateful agenda.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place