Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Those who advocate for the narrow road, instead of the broad path, tend to be liked by only few, and hated by the vast majority. If you want to find a true man of God, a good start is to eliminate folks from consideration who are widely praised.

Conversely there are many out there who “preach” stuff that they call a gospel who grate on people but don’t have a nodding acquaintance with The Gospel. That is it’s the Gospel that ought to offend not the messenger. Just because you’re an a$$hole doesn’t mean your message is more credible than someone who is winsome.

I have already said I believe the Bible is clearly against universalism (not sure whether Billy deserved that title or not?) but I do think that the message of the Big-G Gospel that Paul said is offensive or a stumbling block can be presented in a winsome way.

One thing that as an old school Calvinist has always bothered me is the negativity... that is, those who speak loudly the negative truths of the Gospel telling those who are outside just how outside they are. The positive side is HUGE; we are dead in trespasses & sins and yet God has directed all of history in such a way as to seek & save us... and that free offer is made to all who seek Him.

Just mind numbing how unbelievably ludicrous that is when I look honestly at myself. I can’t help but say that there is nothing qualitatively different between those on the “outside” and me that caused God to open my eyes. Apart from Christ I am a worthless sinner deserving hell. And what gratitude that spawns!