Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by curdog4570

A plain reading of the letter indicates that the Thessalonians were being persecuted by “ their countrymen” who were Pagan, not Jews. Paul is pointing out that HIS countrymen, who WERE Jews, opposed him in the same way......... by holding on to their old teachings.
I suggest that you have a corrupted English translation of the verse.

King James Version: "... the Jews, Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men."

Douay-Rheims Bible: "... the Jews, Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and the prophets, and have persecuted us, and please not God, and are adversaries to all men."

If you insist on a more modern translation, here's how the International Standard Version has it: "... the Jews, who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, who have persecuted us, and who please neither God nor any group of people."

I read the NIV, but the particular version of the Bible used has no bearing on the point I made, which you missed entirely. I’ll complicate it up to the level of your comprehension:

Paul is drawing a parallel between the experiences of two churches who are facing opposition.

In one case, the opposition comes from SOME Jews..... the same ones whose fathers killed the Prophets.

In the present case, the opposition comes from Pagans who cling to their idols.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place