Both 2400 and H110 only burn correctly and cleanly when pushed... You are getting the unburned powder and blackened cases from not enough pressure. For H110 loads, I determine how much powder is needed so that when the bullet is seated it sits right on top of the powder. Weigh that charge and then back off a couple of grains and make up six going up in 1/2 grain increments to the one where the bullet sits on top of the charge... I've found loading H110 like that the loads are very consistent shot to shot and has the highest "safe" velocity. With all my S&Ws the loads show some primer pressure and all drop out of the chambers with just a gentle push on the ejector rod...

For every day shooting loads however I'll run a medium burning powder like Unique. In a .44 Magnum 8-9.0 grains will run 8-900s and usually very accurate. Mackay Sagebrush only has two loads for all his .44s...a home cast 250 Keith with 8.0 and 10.0 grains of Unique...8.0 for target and 10.0 for business.

As to dies, seat and crimp in two different stations. Get a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die...I have them for almost all my calibers and they work great....and crimp heavy..even with faster burning powders.

Primers...for H110 I use either Winchester LP which is rated for Standard and Magnum loads or CCI LP Magnum. If you are going to shoot the gun DA I would suggest Federal LP Magnum...the priming compound is a little more sensitive...

Bob

Last edited by RJM; 03/14/18.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....