Mathman,
Curiosity makes me ask....Have you had any issues with the headspace of your cases shrinking with your load with 4198? Primers high in the cases after firing? Just wondering if that load produces enough pressure to properly form, or keep cases properly formed to the chamber? I would have guessed 33 grains to give 2,300fps so right in there with your results. My niece has a 20" barrel also, so when I get the opportunity to do some testing I can do some parallel comparisons to your results. I can appreciate the difference in opinion of the SST bullets. What would be an excellent bullet at sedate velocity could very well become a bomb when pushed hard. I am looking for that bullet which will perform well at the sedate velocities which my niece can handle the recoil. And yes, these loads are similar to a 30-30 load, the benefit being the better shape of the bullet to retain more of the velocity than a traditional flat point 30-30 bullet. If she has the opportunity to take a shot longer than 125 yards or so it would be very unusual.
Thanks all, and I'm enjoying the conversation,
Rick