Originally Posted by Nrut
Originally Posted by rickt300

So you shot deer in the ribs, they died and your unhappy about the destruction caused? Some people actually like a bullet that does maximum damage on rib hits. I have yet to see a 150 gr. bullet not exit on small deer hit broadside through the ribs, but if I do I would think it odd. My hog rifle outfitted with night vision is loaded with the 150 gr. SST pushed to 2300 fps out of a 308. Amazingly I am getting exits most of the time, good amounts of destruction and dead hogs. I shoot for bone most of the time too. I guess the reason I am defending the SST is because I am getting perfect performance out of it for what I use it for and I don't want all this useless ranting to cause the design to be changed.

So what powder and how much are you using to get 2300 fps with the 150gr. SST in your .308 ??
TIA

31.0 grains of IMR 4198, accuracy is ok for the less than100 yard shooting and it is not overly loud. Recoil is light enough that I wouldn't loose sight of the hog but the muzzle flash whites out my view. I loaded 40 and have been using them for 2 years and have 12 left. The cases seem fully obturated so I don't see any problems. Accuracy when shooting at a paper plate, 100 yards with the night vision after dark is three in 1 1/2 inches. I have been thinking about using Blue Dot when I load the cases up again.

Last edited by rickt300; 04/03/18.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]