Originally Posted by DollarShort
I've seriously considered a Ruger American Compact in a 22 Mag several times. I know it's a cheap rifle and the stock is flimsy, but it actually feels pretty good in the hands and the action is smooth and the factory sights are pretty good. And I like the flush mount mag
I'd probably snatch one up if I found a deal on a used one. I actually like the short barrel and short length of pull. Would make a nice boat gun/pack rifle.
But I already got an 883 which is also pretty slick despite it's toy-like bolt handle. And I might be in the minority that I appreciate the tube mag on this rifle also, and the stock shape is very nice fitting and feeling also. Although with it's walnut stock and 22" barrel it's closer in size to the 455, and a good bit longer and about a pound heavier than the little Ruger compact.

None of this probably helps much. But if you like the CZ then get it. They have a good rep for accuracy and usually a decent piece of lumber, and I'm sure a nicer bolt handle than the Marlins. Although I don't much care for that type of magazine on any rifle, but that's just me.

I also have two of the Rugers, one is the Predator in .22LR (green stock, stubby barrel) and one of the newer stainless .22Mag. (same stock/barrel configuration in black). To be fair, they shoot fairly well (under an inch at 50 yards, usually), but the CZs outshoot them pretty consistently, in my hands (again, with the same type optics as the CZs), to keep things "fair".
I like the way the Rugers, in that configuration, handle, and with the plastic stocks, I don't care if I take them out in the rain, either. The Rugers are good rifles, but I think the CZs outshoot them, at least with the lots of ammo I'm using now.
Next year's ammo buy might change things, but I doubt it.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/30/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.