Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is an Old Town Vapor 10 a good-enough middle-class starter kayak?

yes. i got mine for 399. you can get the regular vapor for 299. difference is color and rod holders and anchor in the angler. it is a great river kayak. very stable and comfortable and tracks well.

rem141r,

I'm looking at the Old Town Vapor angler on the Academy site that Sock Puppet posted. All in all it has good reviews except almost everyone said the drain plug is in a really bad spot. The reviews are a couple of years old though so I'm curious if that is still the case?

I had my Old Town Vapor 10 out on the river today. Very comfortable seat, large opening, molded-in paddle holder and easy to adjust seat and foot rests. I found mine on craigslist for $250 2 years ago and it was only 1 year old. It has the rear hatch cover and tie downs on the front.
I bought a new Vapor 10 about a month ago for $299. It was last year's color (like I give a hoot about the color). Compared to the cheaper ones I've paddled, the Old Town is a much nicer kayak.
About the drain plug, yes, it's still in an odd location. Near the top behind your left shoulder. I think the idea is you will store it on it's side with the drain open. That's what I do anyway.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 06/02/18. Reason: Expert drain plug review

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.