Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by denton
Yes, powder charge and the distance the bullet is off the lands.

I generally start at .030" off the lands and seldom have much reason to change that.

Modern temperature compensated powders are much better. With some older powders, a change of 30 F in barrel and ammunition temperature is equivalent to a change of 1 grain of powder. So trying to fine tune those down to .1 grain is an exercise in futility... unless, of course, your are controlling temperature down to plus or minus 3 degrees F.

I don't shoot 7mm Mag, but I suspect that a 160 grain Partition over Retumbo would be a winning combination. Somebody that has actually tried that combination can give you a better report than I can.

There are a multitude of ways to do it right. Enjoy the trip.

How many man hours are consumed (wasted?) by handloaders meticulously weighing charges for typical deer rifles and shots inside 300 yards?

I don't know about others, but I load them like I'm going to be be shooting 600 yards. For a fast 7mm, that's exceptionally important.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA