I've used a 7mm Rem Mag her in AZ. Personally, I have not harvested an Elk with it. My son did drop a cow in unit 6a at 175 yards using Federal Blue Box 175 gr PSP. DRT.

I'm using 140 gr Nosler Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip's out of a Winchester Model 70 with a pencil thin 26" barrel. It just works. IIRC, I think velocity is mid-range for the bullet ? I'm thinking that it's 70 grains of RL-22 @ approx 3,500 fps (loosing my memory). Using Winchester Magnum primers, and Remington brass. With this load, I have dropped a couple of whitetails out to 500+ yards. They did not even wiggle. But, I have not hunted the rifle for nearly 10 years. So all of these figures are in the recesses of deep, dark black holes in my memory.

You'll need to work up your own loads as each rifle is different. But this is what works for me.

What unit and hunt did you draw ?

Last edited by Owl; 06/21/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.