Originally Posted by baker6483
makes sense to start with the starting loads... would you guys recommend crimping 150 and 160 grain partitions? I have been looking and I have not been able to find a definitive answer on if crimping partitions is necessary or not.

I'd only crimp if not crimping could cause problems, say with a very heavy-kicking rifle while hunting dangerous game, or when loading for a tube-fed lever action. That said, I don't crimp bottleneck rounds unless they contain cast bullets, which don't have the same neck tension as jacketed or mono-metal bullets due to the lube.

Partitions don't typically have a crimp groove (though some sold through SPS will have one per the specs of who Nosler is making the bullet for), and crimping without a crimp groove is not going to add anything to your accuracy potential. I've tried Lee Factory Crimp Dies with rifles and jacketed bullets, and lost accuracy more often than not. Often, your best seating depth for accuracy will be nowhere near any crimp groove on the bullets that have them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.