Originally Posted by baker6483
I will take the advice of those that have been doing this longer than me and just try the partitions to start off with.

Some mention "tuning". How do you know what part of the load recipe to change? What should I be looking for?

I more than likely will not be taking a hunting shot longer than 200 yards but I shoot at 300 for the extra practice. I would like to shoot out to 400-600 yards but I am not trying to get to that point before October.

Another dumb question I'm sure but does the brand of brass make a difference? I have a mix of Hornady, Winchester and Federal. Could that be a variable in finding what the gun likes?

Keep you initial tuning simple.

Get a good reloading manual and read it.

Start with the recommended minimum power charge, and work up in 1/2 grain increments until you either experience pressure signs, or reach the max load. Shoot groups. If you get some good results, load up some more of the load that produced the smallest groups and see if you can reproduce that result.

For powder, I'd start with H4831, It's and old classic that's worked well in 7mm Rem Mags for me in the past.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell