Originally Posted by mtnman1
I'm just curious, but it that one of the loads that you've had someone check via quickload? That's sounds like a strong load for a 280AI let alone a 280. Alliant calls for a max. load using less than that behind a 140 is why I'm askin'.

mtnman,

Published .280Rem Data is fixed at SAAMI specs for the .280Rem 60,000psi. .270Win SAAMI specs are set at 65,000psi. The 30-06 is set at 60,000psi. Does it make sense? Yes, to SAAMI. The truth is you can run the .280 and 30-06 to 65,000psi safely in modern bolt or singleshot rifles. I don't generally do it with my 30-06 just because. But I handload my .280Rem to .270Win SAAMI pressures. I have no pressure testing equipment. I developed my loads looking at 270, 280, and 30-06 data. I understand there are differences in the bore capacity, and thats why a 30-06 can run a 150gr pill at or close to 3000fps at VERY moderate pressures. While a .270 can do it, but at about max pressure, though within SAAMI specs. So then, why not a .280? Its been my belief that a .280 will do with 140s, 150s, and 160s, what .270 will do with 130s, 140s, and 150s at similar pressures. Likewise a 30-06 will do it with 150s, 165s, and 180s. The differences in wts at the same or near same velocity is a product of the different bore capaciies of each. Alliant's load data shows 165s pushing 2900fps, and 180s at 2800fps and not even really close to max SAAMI pressures. So, thats how I developed my "hot rod" data.

The answer to your actual question is yes its been run through Quickload. Pressure per Quickload was 63,928 and a velocity of 2987fps. Since I have no pressure testing equipment, all I have to go on is that SAAMI says a maximum save AVG. pressure for the .270Win is 65,000, Im attempting to load my .280 and remain at or below safe .270 pressres as established by SAAMI. It appears that in my guns my loads are at that level, though admittedly at the top end. You may not wish to go there, and that is your call.

Some of the things I do that I feel work for me shooting what some consider "hot loads"...I measure each and every charge and I trickle powder to the exact charge wt. I don't shoot my bbls hot. I don't shoot in 100 degree weather. Lastly, I've shot the loads I've published here at the fire for many years prior to coming here. I have only my experiences to go on, and the data in books to help guide me. Thuse far in 20 years of loading I have never so much as blown a primer. Might happen tomorrow, but it aint happened yet. Lastly, I use velocity as my #1 indicator of pressure, then I check the brass signs. Im not saying I can obtain book velocity with the published loads, but the published velocities are safely obtainable on average. Every gun is different. Some are slow, some super fast. Im using the slower end powders. Pressure spikes are less likely to happen with them as opposed to the faster ones. Im obtaining published velocities, and all the indicators I have to go on say that Im doing it within safe pressure specs.

War Damn Eagle!