Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Just a quick post of my first session today with the Rem Mt. LSS in .280. After digging thru 30" of snow to get to frozen grass I got the chrono all set up. After some zeroing in and settling the scope in, my results are the following.

55.o gr H4831SC with a 160 gr. Partition, WLR and (-.030") showed 2637 fps. Hodgdon posts it as 2660fps so it is very close for a change. Groups around an inch but too some to many any opinions.

The 55gr. H4831SC load with 160gr. Accubonds came in as a consistent 3/4 - 1" groups. Velocity was 2647fps.
I know SAAMI redlines the .280 at 60,000psi and this load is listed at 49,500psi. I think I have a little room to "kick it up a notch" to see how the speed and accuracy are affected.

With Noslers, I find them to be "honest" when using a chrono to guesstimate pressures. 2650fps suggests you have room to grow with that load. smile Kick it up another grain.

If you're happy with the velocities and accuracy with H4831 I'd chose it over RL22.

My Ballistic Tips will almost always turn a tad smaller groups than Partitions--regardless of cartridge or rifle--I suspect the it's the same with Accubonds. If I can (very) slow fire 5 shot 1 inch groups-- and then anything better I consider icing on the cake for a hunting load.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.