We are headed out in a few weeks with our pick-up camper after a 1500 mile RT run to our remote cabin in Interior and back to Soldotna. I'm taking a rolled up 4X4 plastic sheet that came off a food pallet. A couple hydraulic jacks, one spare tire each for Ram and boat trailer (Interior trip), a compact standard/metric wrench set includes allen wrenches and screwdriver heads to fit handle, set of chocks, a couple jack stands, and wheel chocks. Every vehicle we have carries one of the big X lug wrench tools. those dog-leg jack handles are a joke, as are most of the come-with jacks. Tow strap, We'll take our multi-thing which can inflate tires, and jump start. Also will take my XP-10 compact battery pack, which can also jump start, charge a cell phone or computer, has a flash-light built in. A compact NAPA battery charger for the camper battery - no need for a generator - that can be charged while driving, or with the battery charger from an AC outlet. In the boat for the Interior trip I'll have a 2x2 piece of thick plywood for under the jack if on soft/muddy ground. I learned that one years ago, the hard way! Vise-grips, couple pliers, wire, duct tape - the usual. Several poly tarps of various sizes and camping equipment on Interior trip, only one 8X12 poly tarp to go Outside. Handy things, them.

2003 Ram 3500 with 80,127 miles has good tires, and just went through a checkup. Clutch was replaced summer before last, and maybe 7,000 miles ago. Belts and hoses are good- had to replace the power steering ones at the same time I had factory front hubs (getting marginal- and bad milage!) with manual ones a couple weeks ago. Today I had the differentials and transfer case fluids checked and changed as needed - I did the engine oil change and lube job day before yesterday myself. Had the Automotive shop look for that needle zerk some say is on there, but apparently is not. I couldn't find one, and neither could they. I'll check with Dodge dealer Monday, just to be sure.

I do have a very slightly leaky front axle seal I'll have to watch, but the fluid level was not down. Mechanic said on a scale of 1-10 concern it's about a 3- 4 - just watch it. Said it could be years before needs fixing- about a $700 job from them. I'll likely price it out with my regular guy once back from Interior, just for grins - he'll be cheaper, and knows his chit - he did the hub change-over.

Never had a flat on the Alcan - many on the Manley road, sometimes multiples! I see no reason to take any more than this on the Alcan - and even less than what I'm taking on the (cough) gravel Manley Hot Springs Road, which is about 1000 miles shorter!.

Last edited by las; 07/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.