Originally Posted by las
Last time I drove the Alcan was about 20 years ago- and the roads were pdg then. Surely they can't be worse now? My wife has driven it several times since, no problems.

It's only one oil change from Anchorage to Billings, after all, on paved road....and it's not like it is howling wilderness.... My truck's service is all up to date, hoses checked (power steering hoses replaced) tires were new about 1,500 miles ago, so except for a couple items, which I'll take care of after the Interior trip, I'm in good shape - change fuel filter, drain water filter, flush coolant system, check water pump (replaced about 10,000 miles ago), and something about checking valve something or other - my handwriting sucks. I'll have to check the owners manual.

I beg to differ, Art. I have high regard for the Alcan - so much improved since I first drove it in 1983 until the last time in 96 or 97. In 83 was the only time we have ever had any problems- towing a big u-haul up behind a '76 T-bird with 200K on it, with a 9 month old baby and a 100 lb Lab aboard. And two spare tires.....not used.

Smoke in the cockpit at Pink Mt.!

Cruise control in steering column shorted out (not even being used) - next morning car would not start until jumped- from then on had to pull a battery cable at night to keep the battery live.

Construction segments were minor exceptions the last couple times.....and even those were decent if one held the speed down. The only bad road we encountered that first trip was in Alaska, near the border, and only about 100 miles of gravel total even back then.

Now the Manley road (Elliot Hwy) is a bear - under construction the last two years, probably again this year. Last year it took us almost 2 1/2 hours to travel through 13 miles of construction behind the pilot car. She had to stop and wait for us a few times, because I was not going to go as fast as she was on road like that with a pickup camper towing a boat. Had one flat on the boat trailer, but those tires were about shot anyway. Got three new ones (including spare) when we got back to Fairbanks. Doubt I'll have any problem this year, but one never knows. Murphy and a few buddies always tag along.

The year before last, the clutch blew out at Minto Jct about 10 pm.- that was $989 alone for 119 mile tow back to FBKs! Fortunately the construction camp was just a mile down the road and had a cell phone so I could get a tow on the way(arrived 1pm), and they kept the boat in their yard until I got back 5 days later. A half dozen big watermelons for the crew to show my appreciation seemed a bargain!

Could have been more of a problem had it not been for the location of the breakdown - but someone would have been along eventually. In the Bush, one doesn't worry about time much- or shouldn't. It can be dangerous.

In Manley, we leave our rigs at Frank's Place where they are secure while we are at the cabin 50 miles away. Frank and Dianne won't take cash, but Frank likes beer, and Dianne appreciates (again) several watermelons for the grand-kids. Frank gets a case of the better stuff.

Some things (watermelons!) are more important than carrying a lot of unnecessary or redundant gear- unless of course one needs it to hell and gone out there, and not have it.. smile. But really, now days the Alcan is a pushover. Assuming your rig is quality to start with. One lousy, 3,000 mile oil change, (maybe 2500 border to border), tho the Alcan proper is only a portion of that. Dawson Creek to Tok? Or Fairbanks.

Good luck on your trip!

First time we drove it when I was a kid we had a couple break downs and stopped every time we passed a garage to get all the flat tires repaired. Spent two days in Whitehorse waiting on VW bus parts...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.