Originally Posted by VernAK
I've traveled the Alcan at least annually for half a century and it ain't nothing like the old days.

You can plan everything for customs inspections but all rules change with the shift change.

Bring some decent foods as it's difficult on the Alcan. Toad River Lodge USUALLY can prepare a decent
breakfast. Cozy Cafe and Grub and Pub in Haines Jct have treated me well......Cozy Corner Rooms
are some of best on the trip. I try to patronize Contact Creek folks as they stay open all winter.

Last week's trip found the road in best shape ever...much improved from Kluane to Beaver Creek.

Watch out for the Japs on bikes!.....damn near hit one as I popped over a hill and he was traveling mid-road.

I haul firearms every trip....be sure to have paperwork to get back into US.

Funny that you mention Toad River, Vern.

2 years ago I had an evening meal with them little asian honeys. A few days earlier i had an awesome grilled chicken breast sandwich in a little cafe in south BC owned by 2 gals. Just great food - fresh and delicious.

I thought I'd have another. Out comes this little breaded, previously-frozen, chicken-flavored hockey puck on a bun. I laughed to my own damn self, filled a hole and slept in my new gooseneck trailer I was hauling up. Trucker next to me really talked up their breakfasts though. I was gone by 0300. Had to do 900 miles to Tok to be home the following day.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender