If I may enter some thoughts on long range shooting. I used to shoot 1000yd matches years ago. In order to be competitive & accurate to make such long range shots I fired 500 or more rounds a month at least. Me & those around me would buy our bullets in lots of 5000. Powder , at least 4 8 lb kegs at a time. Primers the same way. It was necessary so that all your bullets , powder etc were of the same lot for consistent accuracy. Our goods were delivered by freight truck. The bullets some times 50,000 ( for several shooters) were on a pallet & had to be unloaded by fork lift into a pick up bed. I was spending all my money on components, but necessary to be competitive. All my spare time was devoted to shooting. If you really want to be a long range shooter you have to shoot at least 200 to 300rds a month. Minimum. Shooting on the range is completely different than say shooting across a high mountain canyon. Across the canyon you can have mutable cross winds of 10 to 30 mph no problem & you can't see them. They can be at any angle plus up & down drafts. Swirling wings that are constantly changing. Also an unsteady rest. You have to consider you are shooting at a live animal & it is your responsibility to place your shot accurately& not wound. On the target range you are shooting over a flat surface with wind flags at least every 50yds. You have the advantage of a dead steady rest & lots of time to shoot. .A spotting scope to dope down wing flags. Completely different than being in the hunting field. With the 300mag you have to consider the recoil you will have to put up with firing many practice rounds. Spend a day shooting a 300 mag & you will notice your accuracy dropping off after just a couple hours practice because of recoil. There is a reason that competitive long range shooters shoot milder recoiling cals. . Not trying to talk you out of any thing just want you to be aware of what you will encounter. Also consider replacing your barrel at least once a year. If your not your not shooting enough.

Last edited by Hesp; 09/01/18.