My answer would differ by if I was going by what I READ or by what I'VE SEEN.

Not regarded as a "cartridge" I guess but living in the area I do...........when someone had a 12 ga slug, you knew what it was going to be used for and WAS that way for decades and decades so HERE that would be the round most think of. Even with rifles now legal, a huge number of hunters still use them. Majority or not, I've no clue but I bet it's close.
Don't know how familiar most are with the number of deer killed annually in this state...........but it's a pile.
I wouldn't venture to even guess how many deer have fallen to a shotgun slug here so...........my location taints my views.

The 30-30 is probably always going to be an iconic round, but for more than just deer. Not many do NOW but stories still survive it's use in about every hunting situation imaginable including bear, elk etc...........yet I've never in my 65 years of hunting have I known a single person who owned or shot one.
But hey, this IS Indiana. lol

I am surprised a bit the 35 Rem hasn't been thrown in the pile yet unless I missed it. Even the 35 has been used here by me and others, in handguns, for deer. Yep even here the 35 Remington made "the list".

Being the oddball...........again.
God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 09/10/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."