Originally Posted by MedRiver
take a hard look at an 85 TSX or 90 accubond if shooting a 1:10 .240 inside of 4-500 yards. You can get them screaming within ranges where BC won't make much difference.

I ran an 80 TTSX at 3,600 fps out of my .240. They say monos don't have a velocity ceiling; I'm not so sure.

If you're running a mono with S.D. < .2, like the 80 TTSX, I think you can overshoot the runway, so to speak, on WT and similar game. It may be OK of smaller stuff. A doe I shot at arouind 100 yds. had a huge chunk of meat blasted from her chest wall, very little damage inside the chest cavity. It seems to me that this low S.D. bullet, driven that fast, didn't have enough momentum to carry all that energy into the chest cavity. The energy was dissipated too quickly. I'm attributing that to lack of momentum, Or maybe the lack of sufficient mass was overwhelmed by hyper velocity. Too much speed for that light bullet on that deer.

Extremes of about anything can sometimes cause extreme results. The 85 TSX may not be as bad. I like tipped TSX in small caliber Barnes; they reportedly open more consistently. Bigger calibers, not that much of an issue.

BTW, 80 TTSX S.D. is .194, the 85 TSX is .206. That's not a lot of difference. S.D. of .2 is just an arbatrary number, would like opinions on very fast, very light monos on WT sized game.

The 80 TTSX at .243 speeds may be OK. I'll not use it again the the .240 on WT's.. It was/is very accurate.

I'd run the 90 gr. NAB w/o hesitation. As posted before, my 240 does great with the 100 NPT and it has a 10 twist H.S. Precision barrel.

DF