Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Thanks JoelD. We're going to pick the spot or one of the others I have in mind first, and move around and on if it doesn't seem promising.

Just remember, they can move into an area overnight, and you have water they need.

My biggest concern about hunting way down below is that I think there will be increasing numbers of hunters down lower.

Most of the time, the water is down low, but you've found it up high which will benefit you with 40* weather. Hopefully the grass in the area is good to graze. Look for sign.

And you being up high, they'll push them "up" to you, or they'll just stay high due to 40* temps, and you'll be right on them. Also, they travel the tops of ridges. So you might catch a big bull traveling the ridge during the day.

The other two camping options would be either: (i) to camp further (south) down the valley, and hike up; or (2) to camp about 1.2 miles further north over and down a fairly high ridge to a place that I have camped many times.

Camp at the 1.2 miles away location. You know the spot, and you'll be able to glass the area on that side of the ridge (opposite the lake) when you leave out in the morning to hunt. Remember, you might get a shot 500 yards from camp walking "to" the lake. Also, you'll already be there (not driving in) to hear the bugling before sunrise to know where any are, and adjust accordingly.

I've seen large herds of elk in the area nearby during the summers at times, but I know that means little to nothing for this trip.

It means there is good food /water in the area or they would not be there.

Also, at least the night before the first day, perhaps we would load the truck with the camping gear and everything else we need, but stay on my land about one hour away or at a hotel about 30 minutes away; just get up earlier; and drive to maybe a mile from the spot, which I think I can do, and hike from there.

Camp at 1.2 mile location. You need to hear where they are before sunrise, and can't do that when you'd be traveling. You'll get more sleep, and won't have to worry about the truck getting stolen at the hotel with your gear in it.

That way, we won't be making noise or smells the night before.

You'll be alright 1.2 miles away. Just don't start singing Rocky Mountain High too loud.

You have put the odds way in your favor now.

You've done good grasshopper. smile

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)