Last year, during 1st season and that snow, a lot of elk were down in the aspens towards the end of that season.However, the ones up higher didn't not get pushed because hunters could not or would not spend the effort to get to them.

It is hard to figure out what the elk will be doing form one year to the next based on the weather.Where they were last year, they might be one drainage away this year. About all you can do is take your best guess. Where you see elk one day, you might not see them again the remainder of the season and the reverse also holds true

I ride my mule into a hunt area so I don't camp near by, but I find that hunters camping too close to prime elk habitat is a big reason that elk move out of there.

1-2 elk can make a lot of tracks wondering around eating. It is doubtful that early in the year with a little snow that elk would be migrating, but a herd of 15-20 might move thru an area making all those tracks.They tend to stay 1-3 days and move on to better forage. You might still see bulls tending a small herd of cows before they move off after rut.

If planning to creep up to that plateau, get up there before it is light. Then watch as the light comes on. That is the best time to locate elk. The later it is the more chance that they elk will be back in the timber. A lot of those tracks are made in the dark.

If you are comfortable with longer shots , then take them,but getting closer is not a bad thing, if you are able to.

There are no hard and fast rules about elk hunting ,even if there are a few, the elk don't now about them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/06/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles