Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I don't walk more than a 1/2 mile from my rides and I kill elk most ever year. If you are in an area and see a lot of very fresh sign, I would work that area until you know there are no elk there .Most hunters that find such an area move WAY too fast, but we all have our own way of hunting.

I have killed three bulls and a cow when sitting at this very spot.

[Linked Image]

Saddlesore: How do you set up? Do you sit in brush or tree cover or out in the open? Sit on the ground?

I get there in the dark..Set up on the treeline along some old logs on the ground and wait until it gets light. Guys just starting a few miles way, at daylight push those elk past me. Sometimes the elk are right there bedded down. At times you see elk the first morning, other times you don't see any until the last day. I don't subscribe to the tactic of keep moving. If you are moving and the elk are moving , what are the chances of bumping into them. Know the country and have confidence that the elk are there

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/05/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles