This isn't a shot that I made but one I witnessed my younger brother make many many years ago. I had to have been 17 and my brother would have been 12. We were out roaming around the hills like we always did, .22s in tote. I had my trusty Ruger 10/22 and he was packing a Marlin tube feed bolt action. It was common for us to roam around and shoot jack rabbits, skunks, porcupines, whatever we could find...

That particular day we left the truck and had been walking for an hour or so when we walked right up on a pair of coyotes. I peppered it with the 10/22 at fairly close range and it eventually went down. The other coyote took off on a dead run, leaving the country. I had to reload my magazine, but my brother was blazing away with his Marlin. I finally got reloaded, but by that time the second coyote was so far away I didn't even attempt a shot at it. Had to have been 400 yards out or better...

My brother on the other hand decided to give it one last poke. He pulled the trigger and that coyote went tumbling head over heals. I couldn't believe it. I asked him where he aimed and he said he couldn't see the coyote in his scope when he pulled the trigger.

Took us a bit to walk all the way over to it. There was a perfect bullet hole right in the temple of that coyote. Didn't exit of course. I don't give my brother credit for anything. But I couldn't make that shot today with any rifle. Of course neither could he...

Public landowner...