Originally Posted by battue
In Flaves particular case, not sure we can quantify what the difference would be. However in the long run there would be one. You may not have seen a difference, but when the big boys and girls play for keeps, they don’t use LW 28gauges. There is a difference, and if there wasn’t, they would be shooting the 28 for recoil. Nor would it be a LW one.

Addition: if you would ask most of the top guns why they use 1 1/8 ounce, the answer would be because the rules say they can’t use 1 1/2.

You are most likely correct and for full disclosure, I tend to use heavier guns for sporting also. I am not good enough nor seriously enough to consistently shoot in the 90s, but have shot with a few who do, and from memory, they all were shooting 12 ga sporting guns with 1 1/8 charges of shot, so you are probably correct. I personally shoot better with 1oz 2 3/4 dram in my 30" Beretta 391 Sporting in that the reduced recoil helps me over the course of a round or two and I do about the same with my not super light 30" Beretta O/U two barrel set Sporting gun ( 682 I think, but can't remember), though only when the 28 ga barrels are installed. In my experience, a little additional weight if balanced well helps me as does a little longer barrel and lower recoil loads do, too.