If the extraction camming surface is located correctly, you do not have to withdraw the bolt because the cam has done that for you when you lifted the handle. It is true that part of the cocking takes place when the bolt is closed but it is not true that it is normal to have to with draw the bolt for the cocking piece to clear the sear. Also, if the first contact when the bolt is pushed forward is between the cocking piece and sear, you will have a rifle which is likely to slam fire or the sear or sear connector is likely to be damaged if the bolt is operated briskly.
In a perfect world, the extraction cam should engage immediately after the same degree of rotation where the locking lugs clear the closing ramps on the seats. The cam will then withdraw the bolt enough that the cocking piece will clear the sear (before the nose of the cocking piece drops into the detent) while also beginning extraction of the fired cartridge.
The point is, since movement of the bolt is necessary to cock the rifle, anything which moves the bolt does, indeed, affect how re-cocking is accomplished.If the extraction cam is moving the bolt to the rear, as it should, the rifle will re-cock by simply lifting and lowering the bolt handle. If the extraction cam has too much clearance so that it does not move the bolt rearward, the rifle will not re-cock by simply raising and lowering the handle; you will have to withdraw the bolt a little. It also may not extract all that well.
Dans40x,
I'm sorry to have offended you. I have not worked on 10,000 Remington bolts but I have worked on many hundreds over forty-plus years of gunsmithing. I have also built replacement bolts for Remington 40X's and 700's for custom rifles so I'm not totally clueless. GD